19-year-old Yamen A was arrested last week in the town of Schwerin on suspicion of plotting a major bombing attack using a remotely-detonated explosive device. The Syrian Muslim “refugee” described himself as a “soldier of the caliphate” and is believed to be a supporter of Islamic State.
Breitbart According to media sources, the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) granted terror suspect Yamen A. full asylum status for a three-year period without formally interviewing him. The teen came to Germany in 2015 but was only given a brief written questionnaire by the agency, Westfaelische Rundschau reports.
It is not believed that Yamen A. had been radicalized before entering Germany fueling fears that Muslim jihadists have been recruiting asylum seekers in asylum homes. The case would not be the first of an asylum seeker becoming radicalised in Germany and either attempted a terror attack or in the case of failed asylum seeker Anis Amri, committed one that killed a dozen people.
Half of terror plots in Germany were planned by asylum seekers and refugees. https://t.co/AZ5sxAxV7q— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) August 3, 2017
The questionnaire was taken by tens of thousands of Syrians, Iraqis, and Eritreans until it was later abandoned by the German government over fears it could expose the country to security risks. Since then, the government has required BAMF to personally interview each asylum applicant and do a more thorough background check.
The period in which Yamen A. was granted asylum was considered to be a “transition” from the old questionnaire system to the new interview system; since BAMF had confirmed his identity they allowed him to simply send in the written form.
German authorities have foiled multiple terror plots since the height of the migrant crisis in 2015, many of which were planned by asylum seekers. The most deadly attack, which occurred last December at a Berlin Christmas Market, was also committed by failed asylum seeker Anis Amri from Tunisia who used a truck to kill 12 people and injured more than 50 others.
On May 30, 2017, according to BBC: German police arrested a teenage asylum seeker suspected of planning a suicide attack in Berlin. The suspect, 17, was arrested in the Uckermark, a district in Brandenburg. He entered Germany as a “refugee” in 2015.
Special forces arrested the teenager after police received a tip-off, Brandenburg police tweeted (in German). He had sent a message to his family saying farewell and that he was joining the “jihad”, the police said. The boy told his family he planned to carry out a suicide attack, Mr Schröter said. The suspect had been living in a home for unaccompanied underage refugees in Uckermark since 2016.