Love the picture
With Barack Obama, everything is personal. Which is another way of saying he has demonstrated over the past eight years that he has most likely the thinnest skin of any president in history, along with an outsized ego.
The last observation explains the remarks narcissist-in-chief made Saturday. Speaking to the Congressional Black Caucus, Obama said he would take it as a personal insult if black voters didn’t turn out and vote for Hillary Clinton:
I will consider it a personal insult, an insult to my legacy if this community lets down its guard and fails to activate itself in this election. You want to give me a good send-off, go vote.[…]Obama also sought to blunt Trump’s recent efforts to reach out to black voters, saying Trump at one point in the race had said there’s never been a worse time to be a black person.“I mean, he missed that whole civics lesson about slavery and Jim Crow, but we’ve got a museum for him to visit,” Obama said, a reference to next week’s opening of the National Museum of African American History and Culture. “We will educate him.”Obama may have been referring to an ABC interview with Trump in 2015 when he asserted the nation’s first black president had done “nothing” for African-Americans. “They are worse now than just about ever,” he said.
While it is not the worst time ever for blacks, it’s been pretty bad, but it’s also mostly Obama’s fault. The chart below uses Census Bureau data to show what has happened to household income blacks an and all U.S. households under Obama. It shows median household income for every year from George W. Bush’s final year in office through 2015. Each Obama year is compared with the final Bush year.
Based on these data, the median household income for all American has grown about 3%. But black households incomes have declined 2%. The bottom line is that income growth among black households is lagging behind total household incomes by almost 5% — this in spite of Obama’s having increased entitlement spending unprecedentedly.
This all suggest that Donald Trump is quite right when he says black families haven’t fared as well as other American households under Obama. And yet he’s the one who’s bitching and moaning about his feelings in the event Clinton isn’t elected.
Cross-posted at The Lid